The Good Life

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Date of Birth

I recently celebrated the third anniversary of my 24th birthday. Over the past decade, birthdays have come and gone with little or no activities taking place to commemorate the auspicious occasion. This day was clearly an exception to the rule. After a good two months of planning with a soon-to-be second grader from school, a party for the two of us was about to take place since our births occurred on the same day exactly twenty years apart.

As I picked up Kimberly and Ashley, her older sister, from the African Food Store/Hair Weave Shop that their parents own, I was greeted with a screaming hug from their mother who had been in Africa since June. She had purchased an African wall-hanging while on her trip to see some of her other children still living there which she presented me for my birthday (as she had been apprised of the outing the girls and I were to have one day after her return). What an impact it had on me to know that she thought of me while in Africa!

Once we arrived at Incredible Pizza (which lives up to its name and more I might add) the fun began. I had snuck in a red velvet birthday cake to surprise Kimberly with and as she went back to the food bar to get a refill on her Sprite, I quickly stuck in and lit the seven candles. What a wonderful feeling to see the look on young Kim's face as she gazed upon a cake she had never before tasted (when later asked what her favorite kind of cake was she responded without hesitation that it was red velvet).

After food and cake, we went on to bumper cars which cannot be described in words because of the immeasurable amount of fun they produced. Next was go karts where the teenage boy running the track stopped the boy's car in front of us so that Kim and I would win. I guess he was struck by her "birthday girl" ribbon. :)

When the fun was over at Incredible Pizza, it was on to tour the Lighthouse medical clinic. Kimberly and Ashley are both hoping to go into the medical profession someday, so I thought it would be fun for them to see the clinic. As luck would have it, the young children's class at Lighthouse that day was having a party. So after picking up D.J., LaeLae, and Meicia, we headed back to Lighthouse for class where they all received Happy Meals and watched a portion of "Fraggle Rock." Today's generation just doesn't appreciate that classic, I am sorry to report.

Upon completion of our class party it was on to watch Miss Rainey, Joy, or "Auntie" play soccer depending on who you were talking to. I hope someday you can know the feeling of complete fulfillment you have when five neighborhood kids are yelling your name nonstop for fifty minutes at a sporting event for which they know nothing about. I have never experienced anything like that in all my 24 + 3 years. It was the most gratifying birthday moment I've ever had and probably ever will have.

All in all this was a birthday that I will never forget. Maybe next time I can expound on the Doctor's visit with D.J. that night at the medical clinic. For now, I'm out.

1 Comments:

  • At August 07, 2005 7:53 PM, Blogger Maddux said…

    Joy..excellent post! Happy Birthday! I'm sorry that I'm kind of late on that. I'm glad that you made had an awesome birthday, because I am a firm believer that birthdays should be a big deal (something my family has failed at in the past few years). I know that those kids had an amazing time and were blessed to be with you to experience being 24+3. I know that being that old concerns you sometimes, but I have faith that God still has big plans for you if you will patiently wait faithfully for him. Keep on blessing those kids!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home