The Good Life

Monday, August 08, 2005

let us have no meandering

I was recently inspired by a dear friend to pick up and read the classic novel David Copperfield. Today as I spent some time waiting in Books-a-Million (what an American name!) while my oil was being changed across Penn at Wal Mart, I decided it was the right occasion.

As I sat down in the Joe Muggs coffee shop and eagerly began what is sure to be a great ride, I was forced to relocate to the back of the store due to a Yu-Gi-Oh card battle between several diverse men of all ethnicities and ages. After the bewilderment from the bizarre aforementioned scene, I dove in, overcome with anticipation.

The first chapter was great. I felt myself assuming the pain of those around Miss Betsey, but not without several intermittent bursts of giggling. My personal favorite was when Miss Betsey insisted, "Let us have no meandering." That was when I made up my mind not to like her (while still, let me make this clear, enjoying the entertainment she provided).

Chapter 2 was even better, as the giggling graduated to laughter. I could hardly bring myself to put it down so I could retrieve my car. Were it not for VBS this evening, I think I should have abandoned my Aztek for quite a lengthy period of time to find out what kind of a weasel Mr. Murdstone actually is.

I am eagerly awaiting the adventures and mischief that are sure to unfold from this celebrated work. I could not have imagined admiring another one of Dickens' works as I do Great Expectations, but as it stands, it could be a tight race. I will surely keep you informed!

3 Comments:

  • At August 08, 2005 7:29 PM, Blogger Blakewell said…

    Joy

    Thank you for your post on my blog. And welcome to the blogging community! Just another respectable person to add to the Blogspot community, which is what we are all about here. If you had joined Xanga I would have had to excommunicate you from...well I'll get back to you on that.

    Happy Birthday by the way! I'm sorry I couldn't have been there to throw you a respectable surprise birthday party although it sounds like you had a splendid time.

    Also, who could have inspired you to read David Copperfield I suppose?

    If I get to see you we will work on the HTML portion of your website. I'm a bit saddened by the links that say "edit-me".

    Have a good day Joy!

     
  • At August 09, 2005 9:00 PM, Blogger Maddux said…

    Harry Potter would kick David Copperfield's butt.

     
  • At August 12, 2005 11:12 PM, Blogger Peter Rice said…

    Well, J.K. Rowling may get onto me for unveiling this critical piece of plot info in the ever-unfolding Harry Potter and the Split-Soul Lord of Darkness saga, but David Copperfield is really Harry Potter's daddy... And I think you know who your daddy is too, Maddux, so let's hear no more slander against Mr. Copperfield.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home