The Good Life

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Potter Vs. Copperfield

Strictly adhering to the promise I have made to both Maddux and Blakewell, I have now embarked upon reading one of the Harry Potter books (simultaneously with the DaVinci Code and Black Students Middle Class Teachers of course). I have chosen to begin with the fourth one so that I can be sure and have the time to finish it before the much-anticipated fourth movie comes out.

In my last post, Maddux and Crazy Legs bantered in the comments section about who was better: Harry Potter or David Copperfield. In contemplating this - however prematurely it may be to do this since I am only in the second chapter in The Goblet of Fire - I find that you cannot choose between an apple and an orange. I have to admit that a lot of my comparisons (in this post) are and will be based on what I know of Harry Potter from the first three movies. When I indeed finish the book, I will most likely need to reanalyze my position.

The Goblet of Fire is thrilling and suspenseful. David Copperfield, on the other hand, truly does have some of the best character development of all times while simultaneously having its own share of thrill and suspense - merely in a different way. Both sagas are filled with gripping mystery. Each of the heroes is an underdog, in his own and similarly tragic right. You are drawn to pull for them to be victorious over the villainous creatures around them with every fiber of your being. You can't help but fall in love with them both. While Harry Potter certainly has no Agnes, I cannot think of a single character that Harry Potter has who doesn't have an equal or superior rival in David Copperfield (and I have truly given it much thought).
Here are a few of the parallels I have made:

Mr. Murdstone - Mr. Dursley
Miss Murdstone - Mrs. Dursley
James Steerforth - Draco Malfoy
Uriah Heep and Mr. Littimer - Crabbe and Doyle (though not a tenth as sinister)
Miss Betsey Trotwood - NOBODY! (as there is no one like her in the past, present or future to be sure)
Peggoty - Professor McGonagall or Mrs. Weasley (either of which is surely a stretch)
Mr. Peggoty - Dumbledore (though intellect be on the side of Albus)
Mr. Dick - Hagrid
Agnes - NOBODY!
death - him who's name should not be spoken
Tommy Traddles (younger) - Neville Longbottom
Tommy Traddles (older) - Ron Weasley
Sophy - Hermoine (for she's no Agnus)

Dora, Ham, Emily, Mr. Barkis - nobody

I am obviously leaning towards Trot and the gang which I am biased towards seeing as how I just finished it today. I cannot wait to reevaluate my position upon completion of the next 700 or so pages of what is sure to be a good read. I will let you know what the verdict is.

J.R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home