The Good Life

Friday, March 03, 2006

Chillin'

In a world where hurrying is the norm and I am no exception, I have decided to purge my life of several "extras" and spend more time slowing down. I have officially made the decision that this will be my last year to coach basketball. It has been a wonderful four years. I have been coach, friend, and surrogate mother to many girls throughout the course of this experience. Even as I type, my eyes begin to mist over the fond memories I have acquired from my time with the girls. In addition to the treasure of these relationships, I have also bonded with a few of the basketball parents in a way I never dreamed imaginable. I have learned a lot about myself and others thanks to this life experience.

But alas, the time has come for a new era in my life. This new phase will still consist of the majority of my old duties, but it will also include time to simply soak things in. This new chapter in my life has been slowly creeping in for the past five or six months. Tonight is a prime example. I got some take-out from Zio's, went to Lake Hefner, and sat on a park bench while the sun was setting. I watched the water, read a little bit of the Bible, and just relaxed. I am so content that I am finally in a place where I don't feel compelled and/or obligated to be productive every single second of every single day. I finally understand the value of taking time out for myself. I am convinced that this will help me be a more relaxed individual. I am certain that you will concur.

2 Comments:

  • At March 06, 2006 10:46 AM, Blogger ch said…

    That's a pretty good place to be!

     
  • At March 10, 2006 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good for you. i am an advocate of slowing down. some think it is laziness. my opinion? it's laziness for God. i'm sure you understand this, especially after watching a sunset.

    ~ bonn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home