The Good Life

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Million Dollar Moments

There are a few moments in life that I wouldn't trade for a million dollars. I might just create another blog someday where I post only about those million dollar moments. However, in the meantime, I will post one right here.

For those of you who know, even slightly, the students I work with every day, picture in your mind the one place on earth they would least likely belong. I'll give you a moment to think about it.




























If you guessed a farm, you would more than likely be correct. However, there are three boys in my class this year that refer to themselves as "The Cowboy Triplets." They are in constant conversation about horses and cowboys.

Tonight I took those three boys and went with Miss Rogstad and a fifth grade boy to a farm out in Spencer. We rode horses, looked at pigs, chickens, goats, and even a turkey, and ate some BBQ when we came back into town.

It was funny to hear them talking about how gross "boo boo" is while avoiding stepping in the horse excrement. It was even funnier when they actually saw the horse expelling the waste. I thought I was going to have to carry one of them back across the field to the car because he was so disturbed that "horses go to the bathroom." After the initial shock of seeing fecal matter all over the ground wore off the riding began. Words can’t describe the magic in the eyes of the kids when they were on the horses. They were really in their element!

When we got back into town for dinner we were nothing less than a spectacle. One of the kindergarten boys was adorned in the cowboy hat I purchased years ago as a joke; another was sporting the boots I thought were so cool in the 9th grade. I'm so glad now that I threw neither of those away over the years. We were a sight to see! The transcending of cultural boundaries seems to delight not only those of us involved, but the individuals around us wherever we go. One such delighted (and patient) individual was the young cashier who helped us at Kansas City Blues BBQ. He was quite patient the whole time, even when one of the boys followed him into the back of the kitchen to get the "4 go boxes."

3 Comments:

  • At May 24, 2006 3:48 PM, Blogger ann said…

    That is so precious! I think you might just be the best teacher ever!!! :)

     
  • At May 27, 2006 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I could have seen that as well. Who are the other two students? I am positive I know who one is.

     
  • At May 30, 2006 5:06 PM, Blogger kteachjoy said…

    It was WG III (Erika's little brother), Devyon, and Phillip (Damond's little brother).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home