The Good Life

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Don't Forget About the Duck in the Water

Over the past couple of months I have tried to provide my ward with fun and memorable experiences. We have been to Texas, shopping, to the park umpteen times, to the movies, had a tea party, had many other fun activities, and been many other exciting places. However, I have found that the simplest things are what she enjoys the most. We could swim all day every day this summer in our pool for free and she would be perfectly happy.

Today before my friend Jill picked her up to hang out with her brother for a while, we walked over to said pool to see if anybody was swimming. We didn't find any people in the pool but there was a pretty little mallard duck that looked as content to be in the pool as Kealani herself. She was so thrilled at the sight of the duck in the pool that she squealed with glee. *Both she and I were much happier to see the duck in the water than the snake we found last week. Shortly after the duck sighting, she went with her brother and Jill. She didn't mention it again once she got home a couple hours later.

When bedtime approached we popped in the Disney classic Pollyanna and she quickly started falling prey to Mr. Sandman. As I eased away from her once she was unconscious, the jolt woke her ever so slightly and as clear as day she said, "Don't forget about the duck in the water." The simplest and most forgettable event of the day (to me anyway) was the one thing her mostly asleep little brain thought of before she dozed back off again.

As adults, we get so bogged down with the busy little details in life that we don't think about the little things which excited us as children. So I would like to pass the same advice onto you that I got from a sleeping seven year old sage...Don't forget about the duck in the water!

Have a blessed day!

1 Comments:

  • At June 08, 2007 9:24 AM, Blogger OK Chick said…

    Wednesday night I had the pure joy of meeting your little friend, Kealani. I believe I won her over with some ice cream. She was way cute!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home