The Good Life

Monday, September 03, 2007

The Non-Relationship

Have you ever been in a non-relationship? You know what I mean. The kind of relationship in which you are dating without calling it by that name? Whether you have a physical relationship or not, you can be dating a person without saying you are.

I am a person who seems to non-date far more often than actual dating. I guess I just convince myself after each non-dating experience that I would never allow myself to non-date again (because those types of relationships don't usually end well, do they?) so I will go on for weeks, months, or even years non-dating a person because I've fooled myself into thinking that I'm not non-dating because, as I've already stated, I won't allow myself to do that.

Have you ever non-dated? Have you ever mentally beat yourself up because you allowed yourself to non-date - even if unwittingly so (possibly due to your superior ability of denial)? I wonder if the next time I non-date someone I will be able to identify the fact that I'm non-dating them BEFORE it doesn't end well and causes permanent damage to an otherwise magnificent friendship. Maybe if I would just actually allow myself to date (not just in deed, but also in name), I wouldn't end up non-dating so much. Hmmm, I guess I'll try that out soon...

4 Comments:

  • At September 04, 2007 10:11 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    you need to have the DTR talk with the guy..."define the relationship" talk...haha

     
  • At September 04, 2007 10:06 PM, Blogger Blakewell said…

    I'm non-dating like three people right now! Is that triple-timing?

     
  • At September 11, 2007 9:52 PM, Blogger ann said…

    I am not a fan of the non-relationships. Call me harsh, but I feel they're indicative of passive men. But perhaps I am biased.

     
  • At September 13, 2007 4:14 PM, Blogger Stacey said…

    Okay, I love that term! I think in a sense, I have been non-dating someone for a long time. Granted it gets me out of the house on occasion and give me someone to talk to, BUT it does make actual dating opportunities non-existent. Sorry, can't exactly answer your question, but you gave me a little more clarity.

    How have you been, by the way?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home