The Good Life

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Counselor

Here are some things I learned my first week of church camp this summer:

1. I don't like plunging toilets full of others' excrement.

2. Jesus wants me to be willing to do things that I don't like for Him - even if it is plunging toilets.

3. I hope I will have the strength to grin and bear it as life throws toilets in need of plunging my way.

4. No amount of washing your hands can make you feel clean after you plunge a toilet.

5. If you want a broken doorknob fixed, grad a Phillips and do it yourself.

6. I wonder why it took me until the last day to figure out number 5.

7. When you are a foster parent of a high-energy child, you indeed can get more rest at camp...even when you are the counselor for senior high girls.

8. Teenage girls don't go to sleep at "lights out" now any more than they did when I was that
age...and I still don't think they should.

9. Horses on trail rides can get spooked even when the man leading the trail rides assures you it will most likely not happen.

10. The trail leader was right when he said to keep weight on your legs because you WILL fall
off the horse if it gets spooked and takes off when you don't have said weight in your legs.

11. Kids you had to convince to get on the horse don't take it well when their horse gets spooked and multiple others fall off their horses - hyperventilation can and most likely will occur under these circumstances.

12. Young girls caught up in their Judge Judy skit won't stop their skit if they're "not finished" until you clap them off the stage.

13. Some adults care about cabin cleanup as much as the campers and I am not one of them.

14. Grown ups can grow just as much spiritually as the kids at camp.

15. The verse on the mirror the counselor was asking if you noticed and/or read is not "Please do not flush sanitary products down the toilet."

2 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2007 9:00 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    ohi missed camp this year..sigh

     
  • At July 12, 2007 9:39 AM, Blogger Stacey said…

    Okay, that made me laugh because I'm getting ready to do the exact same thing this next week. Male counselors I'm convinced have it much easier. They don't have to worry about the affects of "sanitary items" in camp toilets! =o)

    BTW, I'm glad I ran across your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home