The Good Life

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I still have my big toe


When I was a sixth grader at the great Crosby Park Elementary, I went to Padre Island on Spring Break. During my stint at the beach, I tripped over a dead crab. It hurt ever so badly, but my parents dismissed it as drama. Over the next few weeks, it became increasingly more painful. My limp got worse and worse and everyone around me thought me to be faking. Imagine them thinking that about a dramatic sixth grade girl - go figure!
Finally about five or six weeks into the pain, I peeled off the scab and squeezed my toe (I know it's gross but I was ten years old or so). To my amazement, out popped the point to a crab's pincher. I went crazy, but not as crazy as my mom. When we took the culprit to the doctor to show him he told me I was lucky I didn't lose my toe. I don't know how I would have functioned without my big toe, so I'm sure glad it was okay.
When I saw this dead crab on the beach during my recent trip to Florida, I just got a kick out of thinking about that old story. I hope you did too.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At August 08, 2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    one time i stepped on a needle and half of it broke off and went inside my foot. my parents didn't think that it really was in my foot but after my constant limping and complaining they finally took me for xrays. of course i had to have surgery to remove it since it had traveled up my foot. my parents didn't believe me either!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home